Monday, August 8, 2016

Summer 2016 Movie List

I never got around to doing a Spring movie list for 2016, and because of missing a single season, I now have a plethora of wonderful films I've watched and now want to share with you.

Like Sunday, Like Rain
This movie features a very young main character: Reggie, who is a somewhat lonely and outcast cello prodigy. Over the summer, a young woman in her twenties comes to live in the house and take care of Reggie after having lost her job. The movie focuses on the developing relationship between this unlikely pair, in a wonderful combination comedy and coming-of-age drama. I am a big fan of Leighton Meester (you may know her as Blair from Gossip Girl), and she plays her role perfectly in this film, making it even more enjoyable.

The Big Short
I actually watched this on the way to Europe at the beginning of the summer. After watching it, I wished I had not been watching on a plane, because for me it is the kind of movie which requires––or at least is best watched with––full attention. The reason for this is that the movie contains a lot of information, and in my case, information about a subject I did not previously know a lot about. The plot is based off the the 2008 housing crisis in the US, and almost plays like a documentary in ways. Particularly if you are in the US, I think it is important to know about the economic crisis because it likely effected you in some way (even if not directly).


What Maisie Knew
I watched this with a friend of mine, and found it an incredibly enjoyable and sweet film. Maisie, the main character, is a very young girl whose divorced parents are very irresponsible, and although they love her, they place her in a somewhat dysfunctional childhood situation. They both have love interests who end up taking care of Maisie, and a change of events brings them all together. A wonderful feel-good film which will leave you smiling.

Spotlight
My family and I decided to watch this one summer evening because it won best picture. It certainly ended up being extremely gripping, particularly so because it is based off the real Boston Globe investigation in 2001, which found numerous Roman Catholic priests guilty of sexually abusing children. The movie is very well done, and keeps the audience wondering how the investigation will unfold. I was also particularly interested by the portrayal of these crimes being kept in the dark by both the church and the community (which is very true to history).

Atonement
The main reason I originally decided to watch this film was because it stars Kiera Knightly (if you have read any of my previous "Movie List" posts, you'll know that she is one of my favorite actresses!). The story is set during World War 2, and follows two young lovers who are torn apart by a terrible lie/misunderstanding. Although the love story creates a great plot in itself, the other aspect of the film which I really enjoyed is the setting, and how the war is portrayed.

Inglorious Basterds
I watched this one Friday on my own, and after finishing it, was stunned that it had taken me so long to watch it! Leonardo DiCaprio is phenomenal, as is Christopher Waltz. It takes place during Nazi-occupied France during World War 2, and 'the Basterds' are a group of American soldiers who are assassinating Nazi leaders. Although a war action movie, it also is a great comedy with some hilarious scenes. Definitely a movie I think everyone should watch at some point in their life!

Batman trilogy (Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Dark Night Rises)
In honor of my newfound love of superheroes, I thought I should include the Batman trilogy. I watched these in the span of a couple months, and really enjoyed all of them. I think the second is probably my favorite, particularly because of the Joker's character. It completely took me by surprise how much the movies incorporate a moral dilemma, and what is means to be a 'hero' versus a 'villain'. Definitely my favorite superhero as of now.

Dead Poets Society
I don't watch a lot of older movies, but when I do I tend to really enjoy them, and this has turned out to be one of my favorite 'old' films. I watched this movie one night in February with my family, and it is such a pleasant movie night. We watched while drinking tea and eating cookies, and afterward my dad fondly recalled some of his own boarding school memories! The movie has a wonderful cast, and I loved the poetry and writing incorporated into the movie. The cinematography is also wonderful, and the scenes of New England in fall are stunning!


xx
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment