Sunday, October 11, 2015

The Best Feelings in Autumn

I am currently sitting at my kitchen table, with my brother is just starting to cook dinner (it's just the two of us tonight, because my parents are out of town). I have had quite a laid back day, but in a wonderfully relaxing way: I did some reading for English, made a quick shopping trip for groceries, I'm wearing one of my dad's big, worn T-shirts, and the best part: I made my first pumpkin bread of the season!! I figured that it was the perfect day to make a post celebrating the wonderful season of autumn. The past week has been quite cold and rainy and completely gray everyday, and while I definitely appreciate cloudy fall days where it's cozy to hide inside, I have started to miss the beautiful clear days of autumn.  This afternoon, right as I finished washing up, I looked outside and realized that it was suddenly completely clear; the sun was already starting to descend on the horizon, but the sky was a beautiful hue of light blue... barely a cloud in the sky. Anyway, I though I would share what I think are the most wonderful feelings of Autumn and share some photos of what I've been up to!


1. Picture this: walking outside in the morning; you've got on ripped skinny jeans, booties, and an ultra-soft over-sized shirt. The second you step out of the house, the cool air hits you, and you can take a deep breath of the crisp Autumn air and can smell the dry leaves. Walking down the street, you marvel at how the sun reflects of off the leaves, creating a collage of warm colors: it's natural beauty at it's finest. It's not busy, as it's early, but you pass a man walking his dog, and you both say 'good morning' with genuine smiles. You walk down this beautiful street knowing that you have a full day ahead of you.

2. Coming home from school. You're tired from a long day, and it's cold outside, so by the time I come home, I always drop my backpack and gym bag on the floor, head into the kitchen, and immediately turn on the kettle. Tea is wonderful for directly after school, and I usually go for black tea (with cream and sugar), green tea, or my 'skin detox' tea from Tazo (which is surprisingly tasty!). In the fall, I also really get into baking, so there are normally cookies or maybe a cake around, so I will take some time to relax, whether it be by updating myself online or talking to my mom.

3. Sunday mornings, jamming out to an indie playlist on 8tracks (check out mine Here), and making some pancakes. Although I think that pancakes made from scratch are always the way to go, check out Trader Joe's for their pumpkin pancake mix... it doesn't disappoint. Whether it be with family or friends, making breakfast with people you love makes for a lovely weekly tradition. Brew some coffee to get the house smelling divine, put on a cute apron, and get cookin!

4. Drinking chai lattes with a good friend at a cool, artsy cafe. I'm sorry Starbucks fans, but I am all about finding independent coffee shops: not only are the prices usually better, but I think it's a cooler hangout. The cafe I love to go to in my town is usually packed (which adds to it's appeal, if you ask me), there is music playing, and best of all there big picture windows with bar seats where you can people watch. I have long tried to make a really good chai latte at home, but they simply don't have the same thick creaminess as you get at cafes, and the flavors are quite different. So I am forced to go to cafes for my chai fixes!


 
Lots of Faulkner to get through for English class... so lots of cafes!!

5. Movie nights!! It was a dark and stormy night; the wind caused the trees to sway violently, rain pattered at the windows, and thunder shook the world. But inside, it was safe. Tucked away under a blanket, laughing with a friend, a big bowl of popcorn in front of you, you sit in front of the TV watching a movie. I am definitely not the kind of person to be going out every Friday... I would much rather have a cozy night at home cooking a good dinner and then watch a movie with a friend. I thought I could give a couple random recommendation of movies I love: That Awkward Moment, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, and Friends With Benefits. If you guys have any recommendations, leave them in the comments!

7. Thrift shopping. So of course thrift shopping is good for anytime of year, but with fall time comes sweaters, and thrift stores are the bomb.com for finding great sweaters. I am always sure to check out the men's section first for some cozy over-sized sweaters--plus while you're there you can also check out the flannels! Not only are sweaters way cheaper at thrift stores, but you can find great quality ones: I'm talking wool and cashmere that will actually keep you nice and warm when the temperatures start dropping.

8. Apple festivals. A lazy Sunday at a local farm for an apple (or pumpkin) festival is just about as fall as you can get. At the local farm I go to, they've got a great little cafe, so after picking apples (with which you can make an apple crumble: another fall fav), and looking at the craft stands, we can go inside for some hot apple cider and a fresh cinnamon sugar doughnut. Damn, that sounds good. If you look, I'm sure you will find things happening around you: fall festivals, live music, a weekly farmer's market, or even just going on a nice bike ride or hike to enjoy the seasonal changes in nature. Fall is an ideal time to get outside and go somewhere because the scenery and weather are too good to stay inside!
This past weekend, I went with my family with apples from our garden to a cider press... great fun!


I hope that this has provided even more excitement for this wonderful time of year!!

xx
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment