Sunday, November 22, 2015

Autumn Movie List 2015

These past few months, as weather grows increasingly colder, I am constantly wanting to snuggle up under a big blanket with a cup of tea and a good movie. And in fact I have been doing quite a bit of just that! I have tried to continue branching out with what kind of films I watch--rather than always going for typical Hollywood rom-coms--and I have loved a lot of the films I have watched so far, so I wanted to share them with you!

Copenhagen
Trailer here
A couple of weekends ago, my parents were out of town, and one of the nights I was on my own in the evening, so I made a nice dinner and then decided to watch a movie in the living room where we have a big TV and great speakers. This may not sound that unusual, but I normally watch movies on my laptop in my room, so it was exciting for me. I was browsing Netflix for something good, and stumbled upon Copenhagen. The story follows a young American who goes to Denmark with his best friend in search of his grandfather. While there he gets to know a girl who turns out to be quite a bit younger than him, and the film explores the controversial topic of relationships with substantial age differences by pushing the limits, but never crossing the line. Naturally being filmed in Copenhagen, the scenery is stunning, and by the time I had finished I found myself wishing I was on an adventure in Europe!

The Hundred Foot Journey
Trailer here
I am a sucker for foodie movies, and this one magically combines food, travel, and romance in one little bundle! An Indian family moves to a small french town to open a restaurant...coincidentally directly across from a prestigious french restaurant. Though there is tension, one of the sons from the Indian family ends up becoming interested in learning about french cuisine. Of course there is also a lovely stemming relationship between the Indian man and one of the French chefs, the actors are all absolutely fantastic, and again, the scenery will have you lusting to be in Europe.

The Amazing SpidermanI don't know why, but in the past couple of months, I have gotten really into super hero movies. And this was the first that I was sure I wanted to watch, mainly for the reason that it has Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield... both wonderful people, but together? WOW. For the first super hero movie I've ever seen, this fit everything I needed: a traumatic backstory for the one and only Peter Parker, exciting action and special effects, a creepy villain, and of course a love story. I won't lie, Andrew Garfield is undoubtedly one of the reasons I like this film so much: not only is he adorable, but he's smart, funny, and sweet in the movie (yikes, a bit of a fan girl over here, I know :P ).

One Day
Trailer here
I had seen that this movie was on Netflix for ages, but for whatever reason never watched it. Finally one night I was wanting a cozy evening, I had a cup of tea, and I decided: fuck it, I need a good romance. Let me just say, this film was wonderfully charming; I could not believe I hadn't seen it before! I absolutely love Anne Hathaway, and Jim Sturgess was a real treat as her costar. The story takes place over a course of many years and the changing relationship between two old acquaintances from uni. The movie is charming, heartfelt, funny, dramatic, and has a interesting twist from the British theme which is very prevalent (you know, since it takes place in London... ;) ).

Begin Again
Trailer  here
I had never heard of this film, but watched the trailer, and actually wasn't initially sure I wanted to watch it. Needless to say, I did end up watching it, and I was extremely pleased that I did. Kiera Knightly is certainly one of my favorite female actresses, and she is wonderful in this film. The story follows a young woman who doesn't really have a purpose in New York City and a music producer who is falling apart after being dropped from the record label he was a partner in. Incorporating lovely shots of city and a beautiful acoustic soundtrack (featuring Kiera Knightly-- a true treat), the story line may be somewhat unrealistic, but it is nonetheless a heartwarming film that it worth watching.

Spectre
Trailer here
I cannot describe how excited I was for Spectre to come out... I have loved Bond since my very young days and have extremely fond memories of watching the oldies (but goodies) with my dad and brothers when I was in elementary school, and since the modern ones with Daniel Craig came out, I have been a huge fan. Let me just say, Craig is such a badass: definitely my favorite Bond. I went to see Spectre the day after it came out, and I honestly don't know why it got so many bad reviews. My opinion of it was high: it was action packed with crazy stunts (as any good Bond film should be), a smokin' Bond girl, great plot which tied together past villains, and Craig was on point: seductive, daring, charming, dangerous, and dressed impeccably. I also marveled at how the film managed to get incredible cinematography from so many stunning places: London, Mexico City, Austria, Italy, and Morocco to name a few! If you haven't see all the other Bond movies that star Craig, clear your schedule and have a movie marathon ASAP.

The Imitation Game
Trailer here
I had seen the trailer for this film when it first came out, but for whatever reason never saw it. I finally did get around to watching it quite recently with my dad, and was extremely pleased that I did. Based of of real events, the story follows Alan Turing, a mathematician, who is recruited to work for MI6 cracking Nazi codes during World War 2. The plot was fascinating, and after the movie I found myself reading more about Enigma (one of the Nazi's codes) and looking at articles which looked at what in the film was fact and what was fiction. In the intense drama, Benedict Cumberland does an outstanding job playing Turing, and the movie addresses not only the politics of the war, but also social problems of the time.


Those are all the movies I have for today, but I really hope you'll try out watching some of these films. If you've got any recommendations for me, definitely leave me a comment! I already have a number of films I am wanting to watch over the Christmas season, so look out for another movie list in the winter season!

xx
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment