Thursday, June 9, 2016

10 Texts I'm Glad I Read During High School

Around Christmas break, I got the idea to write a post about texts I am glad to have read during high school. I had my last day of high school (ever!) last Friday, and it is incredible to think that a portion of my life has now come to a close. Although I have always really enjoyed English class, this year has been especially influential for me. I am a firm believer that having a passionate teacher can have a huge impact on what you take away from the class, and this is why I hold teachers with such high regard. My English teacher this past year was absolutely phenomenal, and I am very thankful for having learned a lot from her. I think the most important thing she taught me is simply to love reading, because it is how people (of any race, color, age, gender, etc.) can share their stories. Not only this, but all stories are connected and come together to create the one larger story which relays the human condition.

Any time you read, always have the question 'What does it mean to be human?' running through your head. A good book––no matter what genre or style––should answer this question in some way! There are a surplus of wonderful books in the world, and I look forward to reading many more (and I already have a good list going for summer). However, for the purpose of this post, I condensed things to ten books that had an impact on me during my high school years. I would absolutely recommend people to read all of these books, and if you have any suggestions for me, I would love to hear about them in either an email or in the comments!

The Things They Carried
I am not one to pick up a war novel for pleasure reading, but I read this during my junior year, and was very taken with it. Written about the Vietnam War, the book is fiction, however it is inspired by the author's time in the War. The primary reason I was so taken with this novel was because it deals with the idea of 'actual/literal truth' versus 'story truth'. Essentially much of the book is told as though it's a narrative of his time in the war, when in fact many things are made up. This style of writing intrigued me, because I saw it as a representation of how there are multiple truths to everything (and this can be especially important to remember, especially in times of conflict––such as during war).


The Great Gatsby
This is a classic I think absolutely everyone should read. It's very easy to read, it is beautiful narrated, and there are all the elements of a story that you want: great character development, romance, mystery, glamour, and of course conflict. In my opinion, this is the ideal kind of book to read while soaking up sun during the summer, or alternatively cuddled up on the couch next to a fire on a snowy winter day!


The Picture of Dorian Gray
Another wonderful classic, Dorian Gray is a thrilling read that you will not be able to put down. Dorian starts out as a splendidly charming and beautiful man, who––in a twist of events––sells his soul to the devil. This book has some of the most colorful characters I have encountered in a novel; one of my favorites of which is Lord Henry (someone I would love to meet). This is a great hyperbole of the dangers of the darker sides of human nature.


Frankenstein
Frankenstein is a very comparable text to The Picture of Dorian Gray, so I would say if you like one, you are pretty sure to love the other. Frankenstein is written beautifully and because it is from the romantic period a lot of description goes into describing nature and people, both good and bad aspects. Similarly to Dorian Gray, the horror novel depicts the immoral potential of human nature. Definitely another wonderful pleasure read for when you want to become absorbed by what you're reading.


Hamlet
I read three Shakespeare plays during high school and decided this was the one that I think everyone should read. Although I have a special place in my heart for Romeo and Juliet, everyone knows that story. Furthermore, Hamlet is in absolutely everything (my English teacher could make a connection between it and just about any other imaginable novel/movie/play). I will say that part of the reason I was able to enjoy Hamlet so much is because I was reading it with a teacher who knew it very well, so if you have the chance to read it with other people and discuss it, I would definitely recommend that.


The Allegory of the Cave
This is a much shorter text, however I would say that it also requires multiple readings to just begin to get a grasp on the meaning of it. Although it is somewhat hard to describe without you having read it, it is a philosophical text written by Plato, which describes human nature and the ideas of ignorance versus truth. I am particularly glad that I read it during high school, because I read and interpreted it in a way that made me feel very empowered going into the world.

The Goldfinch
Although this wasn't for a class, I still wanted to include it. This is a pretty long novel, but it follows the protagonist from the time his mom dies when he is about twelve all the way into adulthood. While this a long period of his life to cover, he has a very eventful life with many changes in scenery. The book does get slightly bleak at parts, the ending completely tied everything together, and brought many elements of the story into a more philosophical light.


Lord of the Flies
Although I know a lot of people who do not enjoy Lord of the Flies, I think it's a good book to have read, particularly during high school. I read it in my English class during sophomore year, and I think for a slightly more youthful crowd because it addresses human nature in a very digestible way for a younger audience. Beyond addressing human nature, it is an enjoyable read filled with adventure.


1984
We have all heard of the term 'big brother', and this novel is where that originated. Even if you think you know roughly what they book will be about based on the idea of big brother, you cannot fully understand the magnitude 'big brother' carries until you read this dystopian novel. It is extremely enthralling, thrilling, and definitely unnerving. Overall, an exciting read that will keep you reflecting long after you have finished reading.


This Is Water
This can either be read or watched, because it was the commencement speech for a college class given by author David Foster Wallace. I don't want to say a lot about the speech/book, because it is so powerful on it's own. What I will say, is that it is the kind of book to make you change the way you perceive things, and really have you reflect on how you interact with others on a day to day basis.
Full version of David Foster Wallace giving the speech here


Although I am glad I read these texts during my high school years, no matter your age, I would absolutely recommend reading them if you haven't already. This is a relatively small list, but I am glad it is where I started out, and I am already looking forward to constantly adding to my compilation of books to recommend to people.

Reading is not only enjoyable, but also so good for the mind. If you're not an avid reader, try to find a genre that you can get wrapped up in (because there undoubtedly is one), and if you do love reading, perhaps try reading something different than your usual preferences!

 xx
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment