Monday, March 9, 2015

Spring Break 2015 // Day 2

After waking up, I went downstairs and had some water and and an orange (this is quickly becoming a ritual for my mornings in Cali), and started on a walk downtown to pick up some bagels for breakfast. The place I got them is quite the local joint, and at 7:30 AM already a had a little line! After coming home, we made some coffee and tea, set the bagels and cream cheese on the table, and sat down to yet another family breakfast.


After having eaten my toasted cinnamon raisen bagel, I listened to my Grandpa recounting stories from his days in the war. My Grandpa is one of the friendliest, and chatty people I know (he's 98 years old, and still going to peace rallies!), and he told stories of how he had frequently gotten in trouble for 'fraternizing with the enemy'... i.e. talking with the Italians at a prisoners of war camp of their lives back in Italy.

Soon enough, we headed down the the Sunday farmer's market in Mountain View, and it was shaping up to be another absolutely stunning day! The market was all local, and included a wide variety of fresh produce, meats, and food vendors. It was great to see how busy it was, and I happily accepted a number of tastes of this and that from different stands (most notable was a butterscotch biscotti!).



These squash were incredibly bright, so I could resist taking a picture

One of my free samples included one of these sweet strawberries :)

When we came home, we sat down to a low key lunch of leftovers from the Mexican meal, but I opted for a green smoothie (consisting of a couple frozen strawberries, a fresh orange, half a frozen banana, a big handful of spinach, and some almond milk) and some avocado toast. After lunch, we all lazed around for a while digesting, and enjoying the sun.

A little later in the afternoon, we went for another little excursion to make the most of the gorgeous day. First we took a walking loop in the Stanford land was relatively busy with people enjoying their Sunday afternoons. Although it was only a four mile loop, by the end I was sweating from the heat! After the walk, we drove to the Stanford campus, and took in the chilled out California University vibe, as students rode their bikes, and sun bathed on the lawn. After getting a nice Nike shirt from the Stanford bookstore, we headed up to Palo Alto.

Even in early Spring, the field were vibrant green



I decided to try mango and strawberry, but my favorite flavors are mint and cookies'n'cream

One of my all time favorite stores, unfortunately, I didn't get anything

Let me tell you guys, Palo Alto is the place to be if you want a really relaxed day on the town. Because it's a more high end area, the downtown is really cute with shops, swanky restaurants, and an overall classic California atmosphere. We wanted to hang out in Palo Alto for a little bit longer, so we stopped for some frozen yogurt, and soaked up the setting sun.

Right before heading back to my Grandparents house, we stopped by Whole Foods to pick up some sesame seeds (which we needed for dinner that night), and guys, I cannot express how much I love that place!!! It was even better than yesterday :D Anyway, I acted like a little girl, and made my way through the beauty section trying out all the testers until it was time to go.

The rest of the night was very low key; just a shower, dinner, some drawing, and a movie. I hope everyone else had a great Sunday night!

xx
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment