Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Spring Break 2015 // Day 4

Today started out relatively early, as most days have, at 7:30 AM, and my Mom and I decided to go for a walk. It was still quite foggy and cool at this point, but it felt great to get some blood circulating to my muscles (and as expected, my quads were sore from the previous days run :( ). When we got home, I relaxed on the couch for a bit, and waited until everyone was up. Finally, around 8:30, we headed out for breakfast.

For all the years that I have been coming to California to see my Grandparents, I cannot remember a visit that didn't involve going to Linda's, a breakfast place in Santa Cruz. The place has a rustic, homey feel, and absolutely fantastic food!! After waiting outside the cafe (where they have benches and coffee), we were called in when a table opened up. The waiters there are super friendly, so after placing our orders, and impatiently waiting, the food arrived. I had a greek scramble (which consists of three eggs, black olives, tomatoes, spinach, and feta cheese) with a relish green pepper hot sauce, a heaping plate of potatoes, and a buttery cinnamon role... and damn, it was fantastic!



Happily in a food coma, we headed back to the cars, and proceeded to take a long driving tour of the coast and the University at Santa Cruz. Although it was still very foggy, the beach was serene, and the air smelled of salt. Surfers were out trying to catch waves, and I shivered imagining how cold the water must be! At Santa Cruz, class was in session for students, and we watched the alternative-looking student population on their usual schedule. The campus is surrounded by beautiful redwoods that reach up to the sky.





After quite a long afternoon in the car, we stopped by a great market back in my Grandparent's town where they sell tons of fresh fruits and vegetables (many of which they have free samples for, so you know I went to town!) and we picked up a few supplies for dinner that night. Back at the house, I fixed myself some ice coffee, and cracked down on working on an English assignment I have to finish over break.


Incredibly sweet mangos!

You could see these beautiful flowers from the road

A while later, I did a short workout in the garden to move around, and then came in to play a couple games of cards with my Mom, Grandparents, and brother. It was fun to play a couple rounds (although I never won), and then went to take a shower. We were having Indian food that night (yummm), so I worked on my part: a carrot-mango salad.

Dinner was absolutely fantastic; we had Tika Masala (made by my Dad), a tomato-chick pea curry (made by my brother), the carrot-mango salad, rice, and some Uttapam from Trader Joe's (which are Indian lentil and rice flatbreads that I would definitely recommend!).

The evening (as usual) consisted of a movie, tea, and some chocolate chip cookies that my Mom had just made. I LOVE cookies, and my favorites are my Mom's chocolate chip oatmeal cookies, and when they have just come out of the oven, so the house smells a little bit cinnamon-y, and the chocolate chips are still gooey, I am in absolute heaven. To say the least, it was a great end to the day.

xx
Erin


Linda's: http://www.seabreezecafe.com
542 Seabright Avenue, Santa Cruz, CA    
Phone: 831-427-9713
Monday - Saturday 6AM - 2PM
Breakfast & Lunch

No comments:

Post a Comment