Sunday, April 3, 2016

Washington D.C. Travel Diary

Over the recent Easter break, my family and I drove down to Washington D.C. for three days. We had planned this trip back in January thinking that it would be a nice little get-away; little did we know it would be the ideal time to be in D.C. with cherry blossoms at their peak! To say the least, it was a pleasant surprise to find the entire city adorned in the delicate beauty of the pale pink flowers. The cherry blossoms also have a very sweet history, as they were a gift from Yukio Ozaki (previous mayor of Tokyo City) to the US, celebrating the growing friendship between the US and Japan. This gift has become a symbol in the capitol, which is celebrated annually with the national cherry blossom festival. So if you are planning a trip out to D.C. and don't know when to go, I would absolutely try to do it in early Spring. Because we were there for three days, I wanted to format this travel diary a little differently than others I have done, and just give my top recommendations (as opposed to a blow-by-blow of the trip). In terms of things to do, the majority of these are free, making this trip pretty inexpensive. I wasn't really sure what to expect of D.C. prior to the trip, but I can now say with certainty that I am already looking forward to my next trip back!


What to do...
Museums, museums, museums!
Probably one of the better known attractions of D.C., the museums at the mall are definitely something to check out. The great thing about this them is that they are free entry, and there are so many that you are sure to find one that you really love. For me, this was the National Gallery of Art. I love art museums, and this one is absolutely phenomenal. The interior of the museum is beautiful, and there is great variety with art from all different periods and countries. We also went to the Natural History Museum, and although this typically isn't my favorite kind of museum (too many loud children), it was still definitely interesting. Although we didn't go this trip, I can also attest that the Holocaust Museums is both fascinating and stimulating: it will create a somber mood, but is 100% worth a visit.



Oak Hill Cemetery
I know it may seem a little odd to recommend visiting a cemetery, but I wanted to share this place because it is probably the most beautiful cemetery I have ever seen. It was particularly beautiful because of the cherry blossoms, but even if you are not visiting when they are in bloom the grounds are beautifully maintained, and it's a tranquil place to walk around.



Dumbarton Oaks
Dumbarton Oaks is actually a park, garden, house, and museum (all in the same area). Because we came here later in the day, we only walked around the park, which is free. This was lovely, but next time I'm in D.C. I definitely intend to pay to get into the gardens and museum. The admission is pretty reasonable (especially if you're a student), and from what I could see inside the gates the gardens are the perfect place to spend a lazy, sunny afternoon.
Georgetown
Georgetown is an off-shoot from the downtown of D.C., but is still close enough to be walking distance (just wear comfortable shoes!). I would reserve an entire afternoon for Georgetown, because there are three main 'parts' to see. First, check out the campus for a classic old American university feel. Then I would walk down M Street, which is where the bulk of the shopping area is; the street is a great mix of high end stores to window shop at, and more affordable stores to do a little retail therapy (so naturally, knowing me, I stopped into H&M). Finally, once you've had your fill of shopping, choose one of the side streets (we went up 30th St NW) and just walk around the neighborhoods surrounding Georgetown. The houses are all beautiful (though I can't imagine what the price tag on them must be), which makes the peaceful neighborhood stroll extremely enjoyable.


Embassy Row
This may not interest everyone, but by walking along Massachusetts Ave NW, you will pass a lot of the embassies. Not only is it interesting to see what each country's looks like, but the buildings are very beautiful in general. If you do walk this way, also make sure to check out the Ghalil Gibran memorial!

Where to eat...
Big Bear Cafe
We came to Big Bear for breakfast out first full day before heading to the museums, and it was a great choice. The interior is very cozy 'hipster-esque', with brick walls and lots of wood, but weather permitting I would recommend sitting outside at their patio area. It definitely seemed like the kind of place to have a lot of regulars, but the cheerful bustle of people coming in and out added to the exciting urban feeling. Great coffee, great bagel, great breakfast stop :)

House-made doughnuts made from funnel cake batter

Ideal breakfast: latte and an everything bagel with cream cheese


La Colombe
I was pretty surprised to find this cafe online while searching for a quick breakfast place for our second day; if you've read my blog before, you might remember I went to the same coffee shop in Philadelphia... As it happens, this is their other location. I was eager to go back, and was not disappointed with my second experience with them! The coffee here is wonderful (I ordered a 'light' latte, and it was still pretty robust), and this location also has superb pastries. I recommend the almond croissant, but be prepared to feel pretty heavy after you eat it, because it surely has hell of a lot of butter and sugar in it!


Farmers Fishers Bakers
This restaurant is right at the water front in Georgetown, and is a treat. My parents had been here on a previous trip to D.C., and they had raved about it, so I was excited to see what it was like firsthand. This is certainly somewhere you want to make a reservation (maybe even a day ahead, depending on when you're visiting), because it is a popular destination. A lot of the food is locally sourced (hence the name), and the menu is pretty extensive so you're sure to find something that sounds great. I ordered a the brussel sprout salad, which was delicious, and a very light option if (good if you're not very hungry). I can also recommend the mad pig jambalaya, the fried chicken, and the steak tacos (though to be honest, everything on the menu looked divine).
Mint margarita; delicious



Dolcezza
This gelateria has a number of locations, but we went to the one on 14th and P St NW. The interior has a great old-school ice cream parlor vibe, but the ice creams are anything but ordinary. Although this place is pretty expensive, the flavors are worth it; I got salted caramel, peanut butter stracciatella, and dark chocolate, and they were all wonderful. After indulging in the ice cream, this area is nice to walk around (lots of eateries), and afterward you can walk down to Logan Circle to relax for a little while.


✢ ✢ ✢ ✢ ✢

As I hope you can tell, D.C. treated us very well, and I'm already thinking about new things to do for the next time I'm there. Although the city has a lot to offer, these are all places I look forward to returning to on future visits.

xx
Erin


Places Mentioned

National Gallery of Art
Open Monday thru Saturday 10 AM - 5 PM, Sunday 11  AM - 6 PM
6th St and Constitution Ave NW Washington, DC 20565
Website here

Oak Hill Cemetery
Open Monday thru Friday 9 AM - 4:30 PM, Saturday 11 AM - 4 PM, Sunday 1 PM - 4 PM
3001 R St NW, Washington, DC 20007
Website here

Dumbarton Oaks
See website for hours
1703 32nd St NW, Washington, DC 20007
Website here

Big Bear Cafe
Open Monday thru Thursday 7 AM - 8 PM, Friday 7 AM - 10 PM,
Saturday 7:30 AM - 10 PM, Sunday 7:30 AM - 8 PM
1700 1st St NW, Washington, DC 20001
Website here

La Colombe
Open Monday thru Friday 7 AM - 7 PM, Saturday and Sunday 8 AM - 7 PM
924 Blagden Alley NW, Washington, DC 20001
Website here

Farmers Fishers Bakers
Open Monday thru Wednesday 7:30 AM - 10 PM, Thursday 7:30 AM - 11 PM
Friday 7:30 AM - 12 AM, Saturday 9 AM - 12 AM, Sunday 9 AM - 10 PM
3000 K St NW, Washington, DC 20007
Website here

Dolcezza
See website for various locations and opening times
Website here

No comments:

Post a Comment