Friday, May 6, 2016

A New Outlook of Life: Jumping in the Lake

Within the last couple of weeks, Spring has finally reached Pennsylvania. Currently I am sitting in the garden, with the sun pouring down on me, and birds are chirping all around. Each day seems to become more beautiful: flowers popping up, trees sprouting luscious green leaves, and the days become warmer and longer. The renewed feeling of Spring has made me appreciate each new day, and in general I have noticed a dramatic increase in my mood... Seeing the sun again after a long winter is a feeling like none other. Last weekend I was on a hike with a friend of mine, and I was telling her a story which became the backbone of a new philosophy I am taking on life... And I would like to share that story with you.

Every year my family goes up to the Adirondacks in New York to help friends of our open a cabin they have on a lake for the summer season. Essentially this means cleaning all the different cabins, making sure the water works, setting up the dock, etc. It's something we all look forward every year, because the Adirondacks are absolutely stunning; going up for a long Memorial day weekend is a great way to start off the summer vibe. Because Memorial day is in late may, you would think it would be really warm, but the air temperature is actually quite a bit cooler because of the elevation at their property. The cabin is right on a big lake, and jumping in the lake is extremely cold (as it has been frozen all winter). Normally we will all jump in the lake at least once on our last day, despite it being too cold to really swim. This past trip, however, it was particularly cold,and on the last day I ended up wimping out, and never jumped in the lake. I distinctly remember having been mad at myself for not jumping in, because it was another annoying example of my extreme indecisiveness.

While hiking with my friend, after telling her this story I told her that my new philosophy was that you should always 'jump in the lake'. I mean this metaphorically, of course (unless there happens to be an actual lake). Essentially, what I mean is that you should always try new things at least once, because I think you are almost always better off for the experience, whether you have a great time or you learn from it. There are certainly exclusions to this rule; for example, doing illegal or really dangerous things. But if you are met with a opportunity to do something, do it!! The week after we were hiking, Bernie Sanders came to the university in my town, and was going to have a rally.  I had originally not been planning to go––although I had wanted to––because I was busy that afternoon, and didn't think I would be able to get in. My friend (who I had gone hiking with) was going, and about half an hour before Bernie was scheduled to come, she texted me saying that she thought I would be able to get in. I was just starting to cook dinner, but started my usual indecisive manner of trying to figure out whether or not I should try to go. In the end, I ended up running from my house to the event, registered for it on my phone while waiting in line, and got there only about 15 minutes before he came! The moment I sat down in the stands, I told my friend, "I wasn't thinking I would come, but then I thought: I have to jump in the lake!"

In the end, the rally ended up being a once in a lifetime experience, and I was proud of myself for having gone (even if it doesn't seem like a big deal to everyone). To me going to the rally symbolized one of the first 'actions' in starting my philosophy of always 'jumping in the lake'. Whenever opportunities arise to do something new and intriguing, I plan on taking them, and making my life that much more enriched and exciting.

This year we have already planned the trip out to the cabin in New York, and I have vowed to jump in the lake every single day we are there (so hopefully it never thunderstorms!!). In closing, I leave you with this: seize every day and every opportunity that comes your way; it will give you wonderful memories to cherish, and show just how beautiful life can be when you are open to fully living.

xx
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment