Sunday, February 14, 2016

Winter Movie List 2016

I am constantly stunned by how many wonderful films there are, and I think with each one I watch, my love for movies grows exponentially higher. Since it has been quite cold here in Pennsylvania, most weekend evenings watching a movie and drinking hot cocoa sounds much more preferable than going out with friends or going into town (yes, I have been turning into even more of a recluse than usual!). But for you this is good news, because it means I have watched many films and now have lots of recommendations. So grab a cuppa tea, your calendar, and start planning some movie nights!!

Inception
Trailer here
I definitely came a little late to the party with this movie... I still remember one day back in 8th grade: Inception had just come out in the theaters, and everyone was talking about it. For whatever reason, I did not jump on the bandwagon then, but I watched it recently and was completely taken with it! The idea of 'inception' is ridiculously trippy (even thinking about it now!), and the movie has wonderful cinematography and phenomenal acting. Leonardo DiCaprio is a perfect fit for his character, and I adore Marion Cotillard. Although I have a lot of films I love, Inception has very possibly jumped up to #1 on my list. On a side note, stunning soundtrack as well; well done Hans Zimmerman.

Liberal Arts
Trailer here
Josh Radnor (from How I Met Your Mother) stars in this film as a college adviser, and comes back to his alma mater where he ends up having a relationship with a current student. As a twist on a classic romance, this movie had me both loving the blossoming love story, and anxiously wanting to warn the characters that things were going to go terribly wrong. This film is also a great comedy, with a lot of fantastic dialogue. The characters are all very dynamic, and Radnor plays what I think is a very relatable guy trying to navigate the world.

The Black Swan
Trailer here 
I had wanted to see this movie for quite a while, and finally got around to watching it over Christmas break. The movie follows a girl (Natalie Portman) who is in a professional ballet company; she has a very innocent and shy personality, which has ultimately kept her from getting lead roles. She eventually does get the role of the swan princess in the ballet the White Swan, and the role pushes her to her mental limits. Although the film is a little racy at points, but this ends up adding a lot to the plot, and Portman's transformation. Her performance is stunning, and it is a psychological thriller for a night when you want to be thoroughly engaged. It's a dark coming of age story, of sorts!

Mr. Morgan's Last Love
Trailer here
I had never heard of this film prior to watching it, but it was so perfectly suited to me, as a well done drama, which takes place in Paris! Clemence Posey (one of my favorite actresses!) and Michael Caine are the ideal castings, and the Mr Morgan's Last Love is the story of their friendship, incorporating a multitude of other themes, including loss, family problems, and what it means to be old vs young. This film is incredibly real, and not at all a cliche. Finally, the scenes of Paris magnified my yearning to be in France!
 
The DaVinci Code
Trailer here

Staying on the theme of Paris, I watched this with my family on Christmas night! Although it is a little more 'Hollywood' than the Mr. Morgan's Last Love, it is nonetheless a goodie. I unfortunately never read the book before watching the movie, but I love the story line Dan Brown creates. The movie is definitely action, but it also has some exciting twists and turns to the intricate mystery plot. I'd say that if you want a movie to watch with friends/family, this is a winner.

Love, Rosie
Trailer here
Thinking about this movie makes me smile. I think this is the best way to express my feelings toward this film; although it has a more typical plot line, it is still 100% worth watching. Lily Collins and Sam Claflin, are both extremely attractive people (like wow), but they also play their roles excellently because they have really seemingly natural chemistry. Despite being somewhat predictable, I loved Love, Rosie because it has all you could want from a light-hearted romance: humor, likable characters, conflict, and of course a happy ending. Overall, a fantastic movie for a cozy night in when you just want to be left feeling happy.

V for Vendetta
Trailer here
Although I have always loved this film, I recently re-watched it with my dad and was reminded of just how exceptional it is. Although I don't think it is actually classified as a 'dystopian' movie, I would say that's a pretty accurate genre, as it takes place in England who has a fascist government. The protagonist is a vigilante, who goes by V, and has a fantastic back story. V for Vendetta is a thrilling action movie, with wonderful performances (particularly from Hugo Weaving and Natalie Portman), and even incorporates a little romance. Definitely a movie I would gladly watch and re-watch every 5th of November!

xx
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment