Wednesday, August 5, 2015

An Inside Look at Cambridge, UK

As some of you may know, during my would-be freshman year in high school, I lived in England with my parents, due to a sabbatical year my dad was taking with his work. My two brothers did not join us, as they were both already in university, so just my parent and I arrived in late August into a city where we knew nothing and no one. Being a relatively quiet (and awkward) person, it was hard for me to adjust in the beginning--especially at school--but as the months went on, I came to love England as my home.
That was two years ago, and this summer I was lucky enough to have the chance to go back with my mom, and visit the stunning city of Cambridge. Cambridge is in eastern England, and only a little under two hours driving distance from London. The city holds a classic old-England feel, due to the colleges in the center of town, and is bustling with people--both townies and tourists from around the world. I decided that I would put together a little list of the 'top hits' to definitely not miss out on if you're going to be going to Cambridge anytime soon, as well as including my 'insider tips'.

◆ ◆ ◆ ◆ ◆

The Orchard at Grantchester // This simply had to be first on my list, because this tea room is an absolute joy. Approximately three miles outside of Cambridge, the trail to Grantchester runs along River Camb, and on sunny summer days is bustling with people having picnics and going for walks. When you arrive at the the Orchard, you are met with by a luscious garden with green lawn chairs spread out between the fruit trees. You can get your scones and tea at the self-serve counter (I recommend a fruit scone, clotted cream, strawberry jam, and a pot of English breakfast), and then take your pick of the sunny lawn chairs
*Insider tip: Bring a good book; once you've finished your scones, you can kick off your shoes and read while soaking up the morning sun. I don't know about you, but to me that sounds like an ideal lazy morning!
 

Exploring the colleges // Cambridge's biggest claim to fame is probably it's colleges, some of which were founded in the 1300's! Some of the better known colleges include Kings, Queens', Christ's, Clair, Trinity, and more. Although many of the colleges are closed to visitors (unless you want to pay an entrance fee), if you walk around a little bit you can find colleges that are free entrance. Although King's college (in the center of town) may look the most stunning from the outside, all the colleges have immaculately kept grounds that are fun to explore. I would also recommend checking out the back side of the colleges; you get a great view of the back of the colleges, and you get to walk alongside Camb.
*Insider tip: to get an even better feel for the colleges, look up where/when an evensong is happening. This choir music, which is held in college churches, makes for a unique and interesting England experience.


Fitzwilliam Museum and Museum of Classical Archaeology // The Fitzwilliam is quite a big museum, which has a permanent exhibit (including a room of artifacts, religious paintings, and painting galleries from different periods), as well as an exhibit which changes with regularity. Entrance is free (and you can leave a donation), and it's a nice place to spend a couple hours. The second museum I wanted to mention is part of the university, and it's definitely not a hopping destination for visitors, but it's possibly my favorite museum. I'm a bit of a nerd when it comes to greek and roman mythology, and this museum is a compilation of statues from the classical period. The placards for each piece not only tell the title and where the statue is from, but also a brief story behind the figure. I loved to bring my sketchbook to the museum for an afternoon and sit sketching the statues.
*Insider tip: since there's a pretty good chance that there will be a rainy day during any visit to England, make the grey day fun by checking out these museums, going to tea (in town, Auntie's is a great choice), and then ending off the day with some retail therapy at the indoor shopping mall!

Michaelhouse Cafe // This cafe, which is inside the St Michaels church, has a cafeteria style ordering system, and a beautiful interior with a view of the nave of the church. The food is wonderful as well; on my last visit my mom and I both got the quiche of the day with a green salad (which had a great teriyaki-ginger dressing). Although I would make this a lunch destination, they also have an assortment of cakes and coffee for an afternoon stop.


Cambridge Botanical Garden // Although we unfortunately did not have time to stop at the gardens during this trip, during our year in Cambridge we went often to explore the changing of the seasons in the serene landscape. The extensive gardens have it all: ponds, specimen trees, green houses, a cafe... all you could want for a little nature getaway. You do have to pay for entry to the gardens, however if it interests you, it's definitely worth checking out.
*Insider tip: if you want to bring a picnic lunch, but aren't in town long enough to buy the makings, stop at Marks and Spencer's (in the center of town) for some delish ready made salads or sandwiches and a drink.

Aromi // Although I never came to this cafe while living in Cambridge, during our summer visit I was there almost everyday (once, even twice in one day!). As a family run Sicilian cafe, Aromi actually has two separate locations (although they are very close) and offers a range of authentic Italian food/drink. In terms of lunch/dinner options, they have wonderful pizzas which are freshly made each day and paninis which you can watch being made through a picture window on the side of the shop. If you've got a sweet tooth like myself, they also have delicious (and rich) cannoli and croissants, and well as my favorite: gelato. To say the least, if this cafe was in my hometown, I would become broke and quite a few pounds heavier quite quickly.
*Insider tip: get the tiramisu gelato... it's sensational!




Markets // Cambridge has both an everyday market in the center of town, as well as a Saturday craft market in the All Saints Garden on Trinity Street (also in town). Although neither is very big, they are fun to check out for some morning exploring. As an extra treat, there are often street performers around the daily market (many of whom are very talented), so keep your eyes peeled!

Punting // Although this is the ultimate tourist thing to do in Cambridge, it is also extremely fun, so definitely give it a go. The River Camb snakes it's way through and around the downtown and behind many of the colleges. Punting is quite pricey, however the charming, young (and informative) tour guides, cozy blanketed boats, and unique perspective acquired make it completely worth it. If you happen to be staying at the Cambridge Youth Hostel, book the punting there and you'll get a discount.
*Insider tip: go for the guided tour (rather than rent-a-boat): it will be much more relaxing!


◆ ◆ ◆ ◆ ◆

 As I hope you can tell, Cambridge is very close to my heart. My year in England started out quite challenging for me, as there was a lot of change that I was not happy to accept. However, I grew to love the city as my home away from home, and now consider it one of the most wonderful places in the world, rich with culture, beauty, and history.

I hope you have the chance to visit Cambridge at some point, and fall in love with it as much as I have!

xx
Erin


 A lovely outdoor jazz concert held on Christ's Pieces


The Orchard Tea Garden
45 - 47 Mill way, Grantchester, Cambridge CB3 9ND, UK
Opening times vary depending on season
Website

Fitzwilliam Museum
Trumpington St, Cambridge CB2 1RB, UK
Open Tuesday-Saturday 10:00 - 17:00, Sunday 12:00 - 17:00
Website

Museum of Classical Archaeology
Faculty of Classics, Sidgwick Avenue, Cambridge CB3 9DA, UK
Open Monday-Friday: 10:00 - 17:00, Saturday 10:00 - 13:00, closed Sunday
Website

Michaelhouse Café
St Michaels Church, Trinity St, Cambridge CB2 1SU, UK
Open Monday–Saturday 8:00 - 17:00
Website

University Botanic Garden
1 Brookside, Cambridge  CB2 1JE, UK
Open daily at 10:00 (closing times vary depending on season)
Website

Aromi
Two locations in Cambridge, UK (cafe and gelateria)
Website

Daily Market
Market Street, Cambridge, UK
Open daily at 8:00

All Saints Garden Art & Craft Market
All Saints Garden, Trinity Street, Cambridge CB2 1TQ, UK
Open Saturday 10:00 - 17:00
Website

No comments:

Post a Comment