Monday, January 11, 2016

The Power of Opposites

In the past couple of years as I have continued to try to develop my style, I have constantly been pulled to a particular look: pairing opposites. Whether it being wearing a sheer, elegant blouse with ripped skinny jeans or having messy, tousled hair with a simple, summer dress, I think pairing opposing pieces is one of the best (and easiest) ways to look smart and chic.

The wonderful thing about pairing opposites is that there are so many different contrasts that you can incorporate, so it's not as if you're always wearing the same thing. 

chic vs. grunge

solid vs. patterned

all black vs. pop of color

messy vs. put together

edgy vs. boho

form fitting vs. over-sized

feminine vs. masculine

new vs. vintage

The possibilities for styling contrasts are endless! Pairing opposites can really make you look as though you put a lot of effort and thought into what you are wearing, and take a typical outfit and make it more representative of your own style.

Further, this style of dressing allows you to incorporate a lot of unique pieces which will switch up a normally uninspired outfit. For example if you have a vintage bomber jacket or cool textured over-sized wool coat, you can pair it with simple black jeans and a cropped white tee to create a cool new vibe (this seems very Gigi Hadid to me).

I know this is a very short post, but this is something I turn to quite often if I don't really know what I want to wear, and it can help provide some inspiration! If you have items in your wardrobe which you normally only wear paired with certain things, maybe this new style can open you up to trying new combinations.

xx
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment